Friday, June 29, 2012

The Kerouac Table

This is table number 4 and I actually remembered to snap some photos before, during, and after. 
Here's the table I found at a local thrift store a few months back:

Step One:  Paint it black.

Step Two: glue the background papers.

Step Three: stamp until your fingers feel numb.

Step Four: cut out stamped words and arrange them, and then you're ready for Step Five: glue the words.  Step Six: apply a coat or two of polyeurethane or a sealant, and you're done. Looks like this:

I like the simplicity of the white tones of the vintage dictionary pages against the black.  And I love this quote from On The Road.  Good thing I love it, because that's a lot of stamping!

This table is traveling with me this weekend to beautiful Winterset, Iowa for the Winterset Art Festival this weekend.  It runs all day Saturday and Sunday, from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.  This will also be our first family camping trip.  Should be interesting.  FYI, I am not a camper.  I have camped exactly once in my life, many years ago.  No, we're not camping in a tent, but rather in the camper that has been adorning our property since it's (unauthorized) purchase several months ago.  There's a good possibility this may be my last camping trip as well.  We'll see how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment