Thursday, April 26, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things....

Hello, my name is Daphne and I am a magazine-aholic.  A magazine junkie.  There, I've said it.  I have admitted I have a problem. 

These are just a few of the magazines currently floating around the house...magazines have a way of ending up everywhere I go: the living room, the kitchen, the family room, the studio, my vehicle, and the numerous tote bags and reusable shopping bags I take with me as I go about my days.  (Notice I didn't mention the bathroom.  I've never been a bathroom reader.  It doesn't make sense to me.  I certainly wouldn't want to risk one of my favorite fifteen-dollar magazines getting wet!)

I love, love, love magazines.  They are such a great source of inspiration.  I have discovered lots of wonderful artists and crafters and tons of ideas that I want to try myself from magazines.  I love art and craft magazines; Somerset Studio and Cloth, Paper, Scissors are two faves.  I love scrapbook magazines; last year, I decided to part with most of my rather large collection of scrapbook mags and honestly, it was like deciding which arm I would want to cut off.  But I was determined to de-clutter and somehow, I mustered up the strength to do it.  Of course, then I went out and promptly bought some more magazines, since I had all those empty drawers to fill. 

My new favorite magazine obsession is all the flea-market themed magazines that have suddenly appeared on the newsstands.  Flea Market Style is one I like.  I have been a junker for a long time, before it became the cool thing to do, many years before there were magazines about cool "junk."  I love seeing what people do with their junk: how they incorporate it into their homes and how they create something new out of something old.  Naturally I love that, as I spend lots of time making new stuff out of old stuff myself. 

The magazines also help me justify my purchases and ever-growing collections of stuff to the stuff police person (aka the husband) when he thinks I've got too much of something.  Seeing pictures in magazines of someone who has thousands of rubber stamps or hundreds of vintage printer drawers makes me look a little bit less like a hoarder.  I only have three vintage printer drawers at present and far, far less than a thousand rubber stamps.  I've got a long way to go. 

Speaking of junk, I am really looking forward to a bit of browsing through junk and junk creations this weekend at the second annual Junk Jubilee show at the fairgrounds.  Not sure how I missed this show last year, but you can bet I won't miss it again!  If you want to check it out, head over to the state fairgrounds on either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  You can get more info at www.junkjubilee.com


2 comments:

  1. I'm quite certain you can write those magazines off as business expenses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I do! I have gotten very good at identifying (and rationalizing) tax deductible purchases! :)

    ReplyDelete