Friday, April 13, 2012

Market Day preview: Fancy Nancys

A week ago I shipped a box full of journals to White Rabbit Gallery in Iowa City (you should definitely check it out when you're in I.C., you can find it at 109 South Linn or online at www.whiterabbitgallery.com.  It's a haven of handmade goodness.), which depleted most of my inventory, so I've been busy making more this week.  With the first Market Day coming up on May 5, I will stay busy. 

I have made a lot of Nancy Notebooks in the past three years.  They were one of the first things I made when I started making journals back in 2009, and I still love making them.  Because I love Nancy Drew.  I have loved her for about thirty years.  When I was about seven years old or so, my mom used to drop me off at the public library in Knoxville so she could grocery shop in peace.  That probably sounds like bad parenting, but it really wasn't.  For one thing, way back then, in a small town, it was totally safe to leave an exceptionally well-behaved 7-year-old such as myself alone at the library.  And it was totally okay with the children's librarian, Miss Viner, who was always able to tell my mother that I sat and read quietly the entire time.  True story! 

The Nancy Drew books were, as I recall, on the bottom shelf.  The Knoxville library had an excellent children's collection, so I was able to read my way through most of the Nancys.  They were the older editions, with the blue tweed covers, rather than the picture covers, which is what I like to use to make journals.  I adore the picture-cover Nancys.  Nancy is always smartly dressed and ready for any adventure.  She knows how to fly a plane, change a flat, and she always looks good doing it.  Is it any wonder that my main career aspiration as a child was to be a detective? 

But I digress (actually, I do that often, and well!).  Here are a couple of Nancys I just finished up.  I love using velvet paper whenever possible.  I'm a tactile person and velvet paper just can't be beat. 
I've probably made at least a dozen journals from various editions of The Secret of the Old Clock.  I think the cover with Nancy in the green dress is my favorite, because then I can use this awesome green velvet paper for the inside covers:
I remembered these ledger envelopes that I've had and it occurred to me that it would make a sweet little pocket for this journal.  And it did. 

Here's the inside of the Crooked Bannister journal.  I love the bright pink cover and the fact that it has a robot on the cover as well.  And I love the velvet and metallic floral paper inside:
This journal has two pockets, on in the front and one in the back. 

My photos don't do the papers justice, but you get the idea.  I am really looking forward to the Planned Parenthood book sale next week to see what Nancys I can get my hands on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment