Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Fifties Favorites: Mid-Century Movie Star Style

I've scored some pretty sweet patterns in the last month and wanted to share some of my favorites.  I've always adored 50s fashions, being a big fan of full skirts.  They're comfortable and flattering; they just make you feel pretty, don't you think?  (Disclaimer: lest you get the impression that I spend my days wearing skirts, I admit that most of the time I wear old jeans or yoga pants when I'm working at home.  However, sometimes I work at school and so I will use that as an opportunity to wear a skirt.  The other day I actually had on a dress (a Gap dress found at Goodwill for $5) and my son asked, "Why are you dressed like that?"  But I digress.  On to the patterns!)

This 1955 McCall's pattern showcases both the full skirt as well as the slim or pencil skirt look that we associate with the fifties; two fabulous looks in one pattern!
McCall's #3460, copyright 1955
This pattern envelope reminds me of Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.  That wonderful film was released in 1953 and surely had some influence on fashions in the years that followed.

 Here's a pencil skirt again, this time paired with a cardigan for another classic look, in Butterick 7900: 

No copyright dates on the Buttericks, but a couple of sources put this pattern as "circa 1956" which looks about right to me.
Classic style!  This cardigan and skirt look never goes out of style, now does it?  At least not in my book! But of course I have long since stopped caring about current trends (many of them are ridiculous-looking anyway) in favor of what is comfortable and flattering for me.  Also, notice the lady on the left of the envelope here: I think she looks a lot like Lauren Bacall.

And speaking of movie stars, next up is McCall's # 3242, published in 1955.

When I first saw this, I immediately thought of Katharine Hepburn.  This jacket, especially the plaid version, looks like something Kate would have worn.  With slacks, of course.  So very practical and sensible--exactly her style.  I also love that this one has a stamp from Younkers department store.  Those of you in the Des Moines area know Younkers.  I remember my mom taking me to the flagship downtown store for the first time when I was a little girl; I was impressed with a store that had more than one level and enjoyed riding the "electric stairs."  Sadly, the building burned two years ago and I still feel a bit sad whenever I see that corner of Walnut Street.  It was such an iconic part of downtown Des Moines.

Next, McCall's 3902, copyright 1956.


Doesn't it make you think of the slumber-party scene from Grease? Look at the kitten-heel slippers the gals are wearing.  Who wears heels with a bathrobe?  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment