Monday, January 16, 2012

I love this part.

Deciding which paper to use for the inside covers of my journals is probably my favorite part of the creative process.  For reasons I can't quite explain, it is just so much fun for me.  For some covers, it's an easy choice.  For others, I have to spend a bit more time debating; like with this cover from a 1930 Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, which I scored on ebay.  (Book police, please note: this book is possibly a first edition, true.  However, it was already in pieces when it was put up for auction on ebay, so I didn't destroy a valuable artifact.  Thank you.)  The cover is simple, just silver with black text, so theoretically lots of papers would "match" it.  But I had the book for about ten days before I made a commitment, and I'm glad I waited until my most recent order from Paper Source arrived, because this fan-tab-ulous red floral paper was perfect.  I love red.  I love the contrast between the plain cover and the floral inside.  I love that it won't be too matchy-matchy.  The finished journal looks like this:

I have made a few journals out of old BH&G books, inspired by a special order from a customer, and I love working with them.  They are a nice size and just perfect for upcycling.  And since Meredith Corporation is located right here in Des Moines, I like to think of it as not just repurposing these old books, but repurposing locally

No comments:

Post a Comment