Thursday, May 29, 2014

Black & White & Type All Over

I started summer break with a quilt finish. 
A few months ago I decided to challenge myself by making a black and white quilt.  No colors, just black and white.  The only other stipulation I set for myself was no floral prints.  It was a bit of a challenge to find a good variety of prints that weren't florals, but I kept scouting for fabric until I had enough of what I wanted.  I guess you could call this quilt a sampler--each block is different; I just created them as I went along (who needs patterns?).  Here's a closer look:
Notice the typewriters.  That fabric is by Robert Kaufman.  I just couldn't resist.  (Yes, this is the third quilt I've made featuring typewriters.  Weird, I know.  That's me!) Here's a closer look at the typewriters, which are so very vintage charming:
The back of the quilt was pieced using large pieces of leftover fabric from the quilt top:
Originally I'd thought I would send this quilt out to be long-armed, but then I changed my mind and decided to quilt it myself.  So the quilting is very basic, just wonky horizontal lines.  I used Aurifil thread in Graphite, variegated gray and black.  This quilt measures 56" by 75"--just perfect for snuggling up on the couch with a good book. 

I made this quilt before I put together the rainbow solids quilt for Jacob--after all this black and white, I was ready for colors again.  I liked having a set framework to work within; there were plenty of wonderful B & W prints to choose from that I didn't feel limited. 

1 comment: