Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sewing Nostalgia

A few months ago I got this awesome fabric:


I bought it simply because I loved it, without a specific project in mind. When it arrived, I lovingly admired it, then added it to my stash.  A few days ago I decided it was time to actually use it, so I made a pillow cover.  Nothing fancy, no piecing or quilting.  I thought this print should be showcased, so to speak, and pillow covers are perfect for that. And perfect for using up fabric that you buy for no specific reason! (FYI: This fabric is Sew Retro by The Henley Studio, makower UK.  I purchased mine from Stash Modern Fabric on etsy, one of my favorite sources for irresistible fabrics--great selection and quick shipping.)    

Looking at this print led me to looking through some of the vintage patterns in my collection and then I found a wooden box that had been sitting in the big cupboard in the corner of my studio, just waiting to be used.  I grabbed some Mod Podge and prettied up that box:

Boxes are one of my very favorite things.  Don't ask me why, I've just always liked them.  Especially small ones.  So useful for organizing various random things--and I have a lot of those!  Obviously this box was meant to organize sewing things.  Here's a look inside after I filled it up:
I couldn't resist adding the vintage sewing machine image on the top lid.  (That's a clear stamp by Stampabilities, available at Hobby Lobby; it is part of a small set of stamps of sewing-related images).  Then I filled the box with all my Aurifil thread spools (the small spools are from the Tula Pink collection) and a few other odds and ends.  A fun and easy way to organize, and I like it when things are both pretty and useful.   

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment