Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fabric Fun: Pillow Covers

Last week I finally figured out how to sew pillow covers, something I'd been wanting to do for quite a while.  It's been a pillow-cover making frenzy ever since!
This is the first batch I stitched up.  I used a variety of fabrics, both new and vintage.  The three with the big pink flowers that you see here are from a vintage tablecloth that I've had for a long time but rarely ever used.  We're just not a pretty tablecloth type of household.  I hesitated before making the first cut, but after I finished the first cover, I was totally happy I decided to do it.  I love how this fabric works as a pillow cover; I think it showcases the beauty of this vintage piece so well. 

My design process for these might best be described as completely and totally random.  I had purchased a Robert Kaufman charm pack last week at Stitch here in Des Moines, and decided to see what I could come up with from it.  The colors weren't my usual palette so it was a good little challenge:

And since I'd opened that charm pack, I grabbed a few more pieces from it and paired them up with a vintage pillow case that I happened to have, because I'd bought a stack of them at a garage sale a few years ago:
I really, really like this one.  I love how the modern fabrics work with the vintage.  Like they were all part of the same collection. 

Yesterday I tried one more idea I'd been toying with, which will come as no surprise to those of you who know me:
I just couldn't resist.  The red floral print is from a bundle of yardage I got at an estate sale last summer.  I had no particular project in mind when I bought it, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. 

So that's what's been happening around here.  Now back to my sewing machine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment