Friday, July 5, 2013

Experiments.

As I mentioned in my last post, I had so much fun making my Nancy Drew quilt that of course I had to play with the leftover fabric.  I had just as much fun experimenting with the leftovers as I did making the quilt and I like the results.  Here's what I came up with.
Both of these pieces are 11 x 14, fabric on canvas.  The "Secret of Shadow Ranch" piece has mostly all fabric from the Get a Clue with Nancy Drew line by Moda Fabrics, such as I used in my quilt.  "Ghost of Blackwood Hall" features the book cover panel by Moda, and then various other random fabrics that I had on hand.  I also made one smaller panel using mostly the Moda fabrics:
This book cover art featured on this piece is actually a post card from a collection by Chronicle Books that I've had for a few years.  Sometimes I like something so much that I almost hate to use it,  but then I remind myself that there's absolutely no point in that.  So I adhered that "Secret in the Old Attic" postcard and framed it with a laser-cut wooden frame (from Michael's) that I painted.  This piece is 12 x 12 on canvas. 

I haven't been limiting myself to fabric, as much as I love it.  I also picked up two old windows at a sale last week.  I bought them for no real reason other than I thought they were neat and they were cheap.  Here's what I did with the first one:
"Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry."  --Jack Kerouac. 
I love this quote and it worked with the window: one word per pane.  Easy peasy.  The messy part of this project was cleaning up the window: the glass was covered in white paint but I managed to remove it without too much trouble.  Someone has also apparently tried to paint the wood purple on one side but I got the awful purple paint off too, to reveal layers of pretty pale seafoam green and white paint.  I like the shabby chic look of the window and I didn't want it to look all shiny and new, but rather to show some of the layers that had been added through the years.  I don't know how old the window is, but my guess is: pretty old. 

So, that's what I've been up to lately, in addition to making books, of course.  I've got a bunch of new journals that I'll be bringing with me to the Downtown Farmers' Market next Saturday (July 13).  Des Moines' has one of the best farmers' markets anywhere around, and if you're in the area, you should check it out.  7 a.m. to noon in the Historic Court District, downtown.  My booth is on 4th Street, north of Court Avenue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment